From: Thomas Osterlie <gentho@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Clearing the clutter
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:45:20
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm in the process of upgrading the JBoss ebuild to the latest JBoss
4 release, and am in need of some advice.
5
6 Here's the deal: JBoss comes with a *LOT* of third-party libraries,
7 which it relies upon to run with the full monty of features. With the
8 original JBoss ebuild I just stuffed all of these third party libraries
9 in the JBoss file hierarchy. This time around, however, I'm tempted to
10 write separate ebuilds for each third party library included, and
11 instead sym linking them on need (I'm working on a tool to handle
12 library and service dependencies when adding new server archives to
13 JBoss).
14
15 In my eyes having separate ebuilds for the third-party libraries is a
16 good thing(tm), as more Java applications can share the same libraries.
17 This could be a start in solving the inherent problem with Java
18 applications living as separate islands on the file system, independent
19 of each other.
20
21 The consequence of separating the third-party libraries from the JBoss
22 installation, however, is that we'd see a growth in the number of
23 ebuilds in dev-java. JBoss requires around twenty third-party libraries
24 for its complete functionality. That is some twenty odd new ebuilds in
25 dev-java and possibly some in net-www. I'm unsure whether this will
26 result in a cluttered dev-java dir.
27
28 I'm tempted to start writing separate ebuilds for the third-party libs,
29 but want to hear if anyone else have opinions on the matter before I
30 start with the task.
31
32 Cheers,
33