From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: Thomas Osterlie <gentho@×××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Clearing the clutter
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 15:03:56
1 On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Thomas Osterlie wrote:
2
3 > I'm tempted to start writing separate ebuilds for the third-party libs,
4 > but want to hear if anyone else have opinions on the matter before I
5 > start with the task.
6
7 This is _GREAT_. We want to do this very much. Please assign all your
8 contributions directly to me, and I'll have them conform to the newest
9 java scheme (not documented properly yet -- won't be ready until after 1.4
10 release).
11
12 In the meantime, remember that we always compile the packages from source,
13 even java stuff: I won't accept any ebuilds that just downloads jar files
14 anymore. It significantly deters from Gentoo's main strength: control.
15
16 For production use, it is quite common to require a few manual tweaks or
17 patches of the source code in order for it to run fine tuned enough. By
18 daftly providing just the jarballs, we rob our users of this option.
21 Kind regards,
22
23 Karl T