From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2009 Council Elections
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:54:44
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2009.06.28 23:14, Ferris McCormick wrote:
6 > Hash: SHA1
7 >
8 > On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:40:00 +0100
9 > Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
10 >
11 [snip]
12
13 > > What if an entire meeting and therefore any votes were staffed by
14 > > entirely by non gentoo developer proxies?
15 > > Unlikely, but perfectly possible under GLEP39. Would Gentoo feel
16 > > bound
17 > > by decisions that such a meeting reached?
20 > Currently, yes.
21 >
22 > > Oh. Don't talk about 'common sense' GLEP39 does not mention it, so
23 > it
24 > > doesn't count ... and its much rarer than you may think.
25 > >
26 > It's worse than that. I think 'common sense' is subjective and thus
27 > not a useful method of interpretation. Even if one disagrees with
28 > that
29 > statement, 'common sense' is certainly cultural (do you suppose
30 > common
31 > sense in N. Korea is the same as common sense in S. Korea? I don't
32 > think so at all.). So, 'common sense' for Gentoo still cannot be all
33 > that useful a method of interpretation, because Gentoo most certainly
34 > is multi-cultural.
35 >
36 > > Lastly, as a trustee and partly legally responsible for decisions
37 > > made on behalf of Gentoo, I am uneasy with the concept of non
38 > > developers making those decisions. Now reread my 'what if' above
39 > > with that liability in mind.
40 > >
41 > It's not that bad. as long as council meets every two weeks, any
42 > decision can be undone within 2 weeks (and council can always hold a
43 > special session. Although under your 'what if' scenario, we have a
44 > council which does not take its responsibilities very seriously.)
45 > > Note: Other trustees may have a different view of the world
46 > >
47 > I'm sure we all have different views of the world. But I generally
48 > agree with what you have written here, I think.
49
50 You agree that common sense can't be used and admit that a corner case
51 exists that would in effect have the trustees pointing out to the
52 council that they had made an error of judgement and need to reverse a
53 decision that the last meeting made. I would prefer never to have to go
54 there.
55
56 I do not agree that an all proxy council meeting shows that the council
57 does not take its responsibilities very seriously, rather that real
58 life has hit everyone at the same time and they have appointed
59 proxies. GLEP39 does not even set a limit on the maximum number of
60 council members who may be proxied at any single meeting.
61
62 As I have already said, I'm against the idea of proxies altogether.
63 We should amend glep39 to remove proxies and ensure that council
64 members are drawn from the developer community. Of course, that
65 does not eliminate the possibility of the trustees pointing out to the
66 council that they need to reverse a decision but it does ensure that
67 decisions are made only by council members who are Gentoo developers.
68
69 - --
70 Regards,
71