From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2009 Council Elections
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:19:48
1 On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 23:53 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 2009.06.28 23:14, Ferris McCormick wrote:
7 > > Hash: SHA1
8 > >
9 > > On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:40:00 +0100
10 > > Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
11 > >
12 > [snip]
13 >
14 > > > What if an entire meeting and therefore any votes were staffed by
15 > > > entirely by non gentoo developer proxies?
16 > > > Unlikely, but perfectly possible under GLEP39. Would Gentoo feel
17 > > > bound
18 > > > by decisions that such a meeting reached?
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > Currently, yes.
22 > >
23 > > > Oh. Don't talk about 'common sense' GLEP39 does not mention it, so
24 > > it
25 > > > doesn't count ... and its much rarer than you may think.
26 > > >
27 > > It's worse than that. I think 'common sense' is subjective and thus
28 > > not a useful method of interpretation. Even if one disagrees with
29 > > that
30 > > statement, 'common sense' is certainly cultural (do you suppose
31 > > common
32 > > sense in N. Korea is the same as common sense in S. Korea? I don't
33 > > think so at all.). So, 'common sense' for Gentoo still cannot be all
34 > > that useful a method of interpretation, because Gentoo most certainly
35 > > is multi-cultural.
36 > >
37 > > > Lastly, as a trustee and partly legally responsible for decisions
38 > > > made on behalf of Gentoo, I am uneasy with the concept of non
39 > > > developers making those decisions. Now reread my 'what if' above
40 > > > with that liability in mind.
41 > > >
42 > > It's not that bad. as long as council meets every two weeks, any
43 > > decision can be undone within 2 weeks (and council can always hold a
44 > > special session. Although under your 'what if' scenario, we have a
45 > > council which does not take its responsibilities very seriously.)
46 > > > Note: Other trustees may have a different view of the world
47 > > >
48 > > I'm sure we all have different views of the world. But I generally
49 > > agree with what you have written here, I think.
50 >
51 > You agree that common sense can't be used and admit that a corner case
52 > exists that would in effect have the trustees pointing out to the
53 > council that they had made an error of judgement and need to reverse a
54 > decision that the last meeting made. I would prefer never to have to go
55 > there.
58 I meant that the council can reverse itself. I did not intend to imply
59 any trustee action --- I intended to imply that council should be able
60 to see when they had made an error of judgment.
61
62 > I do not agree that an all proxy council meeting shows that the council
63 > does not take its responsibilities very seriously, rather that real
64 > life has hit everyone at the same time and they have appointed
65 > proxies. GLEP39 does not even set a limit on the maximum number of
66 > council members who may be proxied at any single meeting.
67
68 Fair enough. But I don't think such a meeting should ever happen.
69 Surely, council can reschedule a meeting if they see this coming up. :)
70
71 > As I have already said, I'm against the idea of proxies altogether.
72 > We should amend glep39 to remove proxies and ensure that council
73 > members are drawn from the developer community. Of course, that
74 > does not eliminate the possibility of the trustees pointing out to the
75 > council that they need to reverse a decision but it does ensure that
76 > decisions are made only by council members who are Gentoo developers.
77 >
78 > - --
79 > Regards,
80 >
81 > Roy Bamford
82 > (NeddySeagoon) a member of
83 > gentoo-ops
84 > forum-mods
85 > treecleaners
86 > trustees
97 Regards,
98 Ferris
99 --
100 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
101 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)