From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Java issue with a proprietary game
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 10:27:04
1 On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 08:43:55AM +0100, Hoël Bézier wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Recently I’ve run into an issue with a proprietary java game called The Count
5 > Lucanor. It is distributed on GOG.com with a bundled Java 8 binary. Since
6 > bundled libraries are evil™, I’ve tried getting rid of it in favor of my system
7 > java binary.
8 >
9 > If the latter is Java 8, everything works as expected. However, using Java 17
10 > the game crashes on start with the following error:
11 >
12 > Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-lookup.c: 111: check_match: Assertion `version->filename == NULL || ! _dl_name_match_p (version->filename, map)' failed!
13 >
14 > This happened with dev-java/openjdk:17 but to my surprise didn’t with
15 > dev-java/openjdk-bin:17. I figured Eclipse Temurin had to build OpenJDK with
16 > different flags than I did, which fixed the issue.
17 >
18 > After running a bunch of tests, I managed to build a working java binary by
19 > removing -Wl,--as-needed from my LDFLAGS (or adding -Wl,--no-as-needed). This
20 > flag is set by my profile — default/linux/amd64/17.1 — so I expect mostly
21 > everyone to have it.
22 >
23 > Should I propose a patch to dev-java/openjdk:17 in order to filter out
24 > -Wl,--as-needed? I have no idea what this flag is for nor if removing it might
25 > result in other issues, which is why I’m asking on this mailing-list before
26 > doing so. Moreover, that would be in order to fix an issue with a proprietary
27 > game, and I don’t know what is Gentoo policy regarding that kind of bug.
28 >
29 > If I am to propose a patch, should I do so using filter-flag from
30 > flag-o-matic.eclass, or no-as-needed which is provided by the same eclass and
31 > is a no-op on clang? (My C compiler is gcc and I haven’t tested building
32 > OpenJDK17 with clang.)
33 >
34 > If I should propose a patch, should I first open a bug in gentoo bugtracker so
35 > that it may be referenced in the ebuild?
36 >
37 > Thanks
38 > Hoël
39 >
40 > PS: Using dev-java/openjdk:11 to run the game also fails, but with a different
41 > error which I did not try to fix. So this discussion is only about
42 > dev-java/openjdk:17.
43
44 Seems reasonable to open a bug, at least for posterity.