From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Multislot dependencies
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:42:40
1 * Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> schrieb:
2 > Le lundi 30 juin 2008 à 19:01 +0200, Enrico Weigelt a écrit :
3 > > <big_snip>
4 > >
5 > > Funny, how you all manage to make simple things complicated ;-o
6 > >
7 > > I guess nobody considered an trivial solutions like an useflag ...
8 >
9 > no, this is not the proper solution. Just consider how bad gtk/gtk2
10 > useflag was and that was with only 1 package with 2 slots.
11
12 Well, some of you might still remember what I said about gtk and
13 slots long time ago. Just to summarize my point:
14
15 * the use of slots should be MINIMIZED. IMHO, the kernel is one
16 of the few valid uses, gtk is NOT (1.* and 2.* are *different*
17 packages and so should be treated differently).
18
19 * at runtime an most packages need that variant/slot they were
20 built for (and gtk1'ed package needs gtk-1.x, NOT gtk-2.* and
21 vice versa)
22
23 * often the slots are just necessary because the upstream's
24 bad code design. IMHO, if a package doesn't have *clean*
25 dependency tree, it's simply not a package, but just a
26 bunch of code ;-P
27
28 > Now think about say db (berkeleydb) or gtkhtml (and I'm still
29 > probably overlooking the most important point).
30
31 What's exactly the problem with that packages ?
34 BTW: maybe many things would be easier, if portage itself could
35 differenciate between source and binary packages, but that might
36 be a too big step ;-o
39 cu
40 --
42 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
44 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
45 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
46 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
47 http://patches.metux.de/
49 --
50 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list