From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Multislot dependencies
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:01:02
1 On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, some of you might still remember what I said about gtk and
4 > slots long time ago. Just to summarize my point:
5 >
6 > * the use of slots should be MINIMIZED. IMHO, the kernel is one
7 > of the few valid uses, gtk is NOT (1.* and 2.* are *different*
8 > packages and so should be treated differently).
9 >
10 > * at runtime an most packages need that variant/slot they were
11 > built for (and gtk1'ed package needs gtk-1.x, NOT gtk-2.* and
12 > vice versa)
15 This is not going to change. We already unified the gtk USE flag, we
16 have SLOT dependencies now, and, generally, prior discussion,
17 decisions and common practices shows that we're not going to follow
18 that path.
19
20 We are talking about multislot dependencies. At this point, your
21 arguments are noise. So, please, don't continue with these points in
22 this thread.
23
24 Thanks,
25 --