From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 16:20:04
1 On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 09/04/2012 05:06 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> As a compromise, it could be made policy that "bump to EAPI=foo" bugs
5 >>> are valid. If someone would benefit from such a bump, he can file a bug
6 >>> and know that it won't be closed WONTFIX. On the other hand, the dev is
7 >>> under no more pressure than usual to do the bump.
8 >>
9 >> If you attach a patch and have done the legwork, sure.
10 >>
11 >> If you're just opening bugs w/ "bump to EAPI=monkeys", bluntly, it's
12 >> noise and it's annoying. EAPI bump requests for pkgs that need to
13 >> move forward so an eclass can be cleaned up/moved forward, sure, but
14 >> arbitrary "please go bump xyz" without a specific reason (and/or
15 >> legwork done if not) isn't helpful. Kind of equivalent to zero-day
16 >> bump requests in my view in terms of usefulness.
17 >
18 > Except this is what we have now, and isn't a compromise at all.
21 What use is a bug report requesting an EAPI bump for no reason? There
22 is no sense in "compromising" and creating such a policy if nobody
23 actually benefits from it.