From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 17:04:17
1 On 09/05/2012 12:15 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 09/04/2012 05:06 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
4 >>>>
5 >>>> As a compromise, it could be made policy that "bump to EAPI=foo" bugs
6 >>>> are valid. If someone would benefit from such a bump, he can file a bug
7 >>>> and know that it won't be closed WONTFIX. On the other hand, the dev is
8 >>>> under no more pressure than usual to do the bump.
9 >>>
10 >>> If you attach a patch and have done the legwork, sure.
11 >>>
12 >>> If you're just opening bugs w/ "bump to EAPI=monkeys", bluntly, it's
13 >>> noise and it's annoying. EAPI bump requests for pkgs that need to
14 >>> move forward so an eclass can be cleaned up/moved forward, sure, but
15 >>> arbitrary "please go bump xyz" without a specific reason (and/or
16 >>> legwork done if not) isn't helpful. Kind of equivalent to zero-day
17 >>> bump requests in my view in terms of usefulness.
18 >>
19 >> Except this is what we have now, and isn't a compromise at all.
22 > What use is a bug report requesting an EAPI bump for no reason? There
23 > is no sense in "compromising" and creating such a policy if nobody
24 > actually benefits from it.
27 If there's really no reason, why would anyone bother to file a bug for
28 it? It's better for developers than the must-bump policy, and better for
29 users than what we have now.