From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deleting old news items
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 14:08:05
1 On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 4:00 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > W dniu czw, 04.01.2018 o godzinie 20∶20 -0500, użytkownik Alec Warner
4 > napisał:
5 > > The attached patch proposes a new news item format (2.1).
6 > >
7 > > In format 2.1, the Expires: header is mandatory.
8 > >
9 > > PMs can detect whether a given news item is "expired" by comparing the
10 > > current date in UTC to the expired date.
11 > > Expired news items should not be shown to users.
12 > >
13 > > Once this is accepted and implemented, we can go back and bump the
14 > existing
15 > > news items to format 2.1 and add the new mandatory header.
16 > >
17 > > Old news implementations should ignore the "Expires" header (as they
18 > ignore
19 > > any unspecified header.)
20 >
21 > What will the relevant policy be, i.e. what value should we be putting
22 > there?
25 My straw man is 1-3 years from date of posting. Like in theory authors
26 wouldn't even write it in and a pre-commit hook would just inject the
27 header into the message at commit-time.
31 > --
32 > Best regards,
33 > Michał Górny