From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:06:59
1 Peter wrote:
2 > Maybe I just don't :(
3 >> e17 doesnt break the whole system
4 >
5 > Any alpha software can. Read the warning label. e17 has caused me to hit
6 > the big red switch on several occasions.
9 Then you have a bug in your kernel (or possibly your video driver). It
10 should be impossible for any user program to take down the system.
11
12 >> wine doesnt break the whole system
13 >>
14 > It can trash lots of files. Seen it. Been there. Oh, and one other little
15 > nasty about wine, you can get hit with a virus, and depending on how your
16 > local drives are configured, this can be a bad thing.
17
18 You can be hit by a virus without wine too. Just because there are
19 currently no viruses for Linux doesn't mean that they are impossible.
20 Also the damage a virus in wine can do is limited to the user that you
21 are running wine as, unless of course you are stupid enough to run wine
22 as root.
25 > Any "good" kernel, improperly configured or used can do the same. "Why
26 > doesn't usb work? Why doesn't nvidia work? Why doesn't ssh-fuse not
27 > compile? Why can't I access my home filesystem?" etc. How many users
28 > installed hardened or sellinux and went "Oh sh*t"
29
30 Those are known conditions. Gentoo developers can debug them. A subtle
31 failure caused by a bug in the kernel can be VERY hard to debug. Take
32 for example, a few years ago there was a kernel bug (in vanilla) that
33 caused perl to fail compiling PORTAGE_TMPDIR was on an ext3 filesystem.
34 That sort of bug would be almost impossible to track down if it was
35 caused by some random, untested, duct-tape patchset that the user had
36 installed.
39 > Listen, I'm not going to prolong this. My point was and IS that sources
40 > are just that. They are not applications. They must be configured
41 > correctly to run. If you're going to promote and publish -mm and -ck, then
42 > you can't rightly call a source based on -ck a "pos kernel." Maybe by your
43 > standards, but not by mine, or the others who follow this particular
44 > thread on bz and the forums.
45
46 -mm and -ck are both produced by extremely competent, and knowledgeable
47 kernel hackers. -nitro or whatever it's called these days is just a
48 bunch of random patches thrown together by someone who knows how to
49 munge patches without knowing their actual effect. It's actually not
50 terribly difficult to munge patches in code that you are unfamiliar with
51 (I have done it many times myself), but doing this in a kernel can
52 subtle cause breakages all over the system.
53
54 > There's lots of evil out there, but kernel sources are no worse than a pos
55 > application or alpha software.
56
57 Kernel sources can cause all sorts of breakages that normal software
58 can't. For example, there is no way for a random app to cause certain
59 strings of data to fail to be written to disk, or off-by-one errors
60 reading certain random files. Both of these are possible, along with
61 many other hard to detect and diagnose breakages in the kernel. The
62 kernel is _not_ just another program, its the main arbiter of system
63 resources and as such can break the system in ways that even the most
64 malicious user programs can only dream of.
65 --
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list