From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:37:36
1 On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:58:44 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 15 June 2006 05:39, Peter wrote:
4 >> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 04:29:44 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 >> > being able to download patchsets from the internet, touchup a few
6 >> > lines so they apply without rejects, and releasing the result to the
7 >> > rest of the world deserves no respect/regard ... you've proven you
8 >> > have skills at:
9 >> > - wget
10 >> > - patch
11 >> > - an editor
12 >> > - tar
13 >> >
14 >> > the respect/regard comes when the compiled kernel *actually performs*
15 >>
16 >> I respect your opinion. But, does that mean e17 should be removed,
17 >> because it really has a lot of problems (like its file manager), or all
18 >> it's libraries? How about wine? Just because a project may entail risk,
19 >> should not eliminate it from being considered for inclusion in the tree
20 >> OR in an overlay.
21 >
22 > you really dont get it
23
24 Maybe I just don't :(
25 >
26 > e17 doesnt break the whole system
27
28 Any alpha software can. Read the warning label. e17 has caused me to hit
29 the big red switch on several occasions.
32 > wine doesnt break the whole system
33 >
34 It can trash lots of files. Seen it. Been there. Oh, and one other little
35 nasty about wine, you can get hit with a virus, and depending on how your
36 local drives are configured, this can be a bad thing.
37
38 > a pos kernel breaks the entire system and wastes everyone's time as it can
39 > cause *any package at all* to crash and have bug reports filed about that
40 > package
43 Any "good" kernel, improperly configured or used can do the same. "Why
44 doesn't usb work? Why doesn't nvidia work? Why doesn't ssh-fuse not
45 compile? Why can't I access my home filesystem?" etc. How many users
46 installed hardened or sellinux and went "Oh sh*t"
47
48 > your little sub thread here wasnt about different bleeding edge
49 > packages, it was about the obviously incorrect statement that kernel
50 > sources has no adverse affect on any other package -mike
51
52 Listen, I'm not going to prolong this. My point was and IS that sources
53 are just that. They are not applications. They must be configured
54 correctly to run. If you're going to promote and publish -mm and -ck, then
55 you can't rightly call a source based on -ck a "pos kernel." Maybe by your
56 standards, but not by mine, or the others who follow this particular
57 thread on bz and the forums.
58
59 The point of the thread, and I already did my mea culpa for using a kernel
60 source as an example, was to try and present a user's pov wrt to Sunrise
61 and how it may benefit the community by hosting such projects. As I wrote
62 to ciaranm, it's hard to micromanage and control every user's private
63 installations once the initial install and build has completed.
64
65 There's lots of evil out there, but kernel sources are no worse than a pos
66 application or alpha software.
67
68 Obviously, I'm not winning any converts here -- but that was not my
69 intent. Anything else I write would be redundant. And, should I continue
70 to fight this, I'd only be a hypocrite by continuing this thread when I
71 chastise others for making these darn things too long! If you have
72 particular comments, please contact me off list.
73
74 I'll be lurking at the council meeting though. That should be fun!
78 Peter
82 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list