From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise resumed again (was Resignation)
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 16:26:08
1 On Thursday 03 August 2006 04:56, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > *cough*. bit hypocritical for you to lecture me about viewing
3 > your statements as 'flaming', and in the same breath label
4 > my own as 'flaming' ;)
5 >
6 > Why am I pointing this out? My initial points were that of "why the
7 > double standard", with you providing an apt example (while that's
8 > barbed, you did provide a perfect refresher of the definition).
9
10 The difference is that I argue, while you accuse me to play false. I consider
11 this as ad hominem and together with all this "FUD" and "BS" calling, in
12 contrary to my email, inflammatory.
15 > > I'd appreciate, if you would try to have a controversial
16 > > discussion, without starting to loose your manners.
17 >
18 > And I'd appreciate a less condescending tone.
19
20 This wasn't meant condescending, but a true request. Because it's not the
21 first time you react this way, when you dislike another ones opinion. It is
22 as annoying as Ciaran's habit to make statements without backing them up -
23 even when asked to do so.
26 > You wrote 'no security'. That's pretty fricking vague, can cover
27 > everything from no verification of sync'd contents, to their vcs
28 > security, to their screening processes, to vulns in their packages.
29
30 I wrote that you should read my replies in the initial thread.
33 > If you wanted to home in vulns in the source (which isn't security as
34 > much as 'vulnerabilities in the source'), be explicit.
35
36 I was.
39 > Now on to the real points (yay)...
40 >
41 > > My point isn't that
42 > > people add malicious ebuilds to the overlay. There're more subtle methods
43 > > anyway, given that the tree still isn't signed. I wrote about
44 > > vulnerablities in the upstream software, neither having a security team
45 > > backing them up nor GLSA's to be written.
46 >
47 > 1) same issue with the ebuilds sitting in bugzilla, going to hunt
48 > through bugzie marking each submitted ebuild when a security bug hits?
49 >
50 > 2) Response to that is that "there is no claim of support"- which is
51 > the same for sunrise. Why are the rules different for sunrise then?
52
53 The difference is that people are using them in their local overlay and
54 therefore - in contrary to the Sunrise overlay - a) are only exposed to the
55 packges they _really_ want to use and b) are responsible for it themselves.
56
57 Aside of this I might add that I do add comments to bug reports, when I
58 stumble about vulnerability notices and find relevant bug reports.
61 > 3) Assumption that sunrise will just be a dumping ground, without any
62 > form of maintainance is implicit here- if it becomes as such, already
63 > was stated it would get wedgied by the council. So that leaves the
64 > angle of "they don't have a security team", which implies to actually
65 > handle nuking vulnerable ebuilds, one has to have a security team
66 > (obviously false).
67
68 Dumping ground or not. It's easy to miss vulnerability notices. Especially, if
69 you don't have guys who expclicitly care for it. And you need a security team
70 to announce issue to the user base. I wouldn't use Gentoo, if we not had such
71 a hard and good working security team.
74 > Besides... frankly it's kind of BS to push the vuln angle onto sunrise
75 > when gentoo can't even clean out years old vulnerable packages from
76 > gentoo-x86 (that doesn't absolve sunrise from having to watch it, nor
77 > a potshot at the understaffed security team, merely that double
78 > standards suck).
79
80 Interesting to see you state this. Because this is a far more serious problem,
81 than supporting "everything" possible; And Sunrise won't fix this either - if
82 not the opposite. One of the goals of Sunrise is to recruit new devs. But we
83 don't need new devs to add new packages primarily, we more to maintain
84 existing and not so fancy stuff and to clean out the tree.
87 > You want to set a standard for 'em, fine, lets use the standard of the
88 > existing tree when compared to existing glsas- note that there may be
89 > vulns that gentoo doesn't have glsas for, or vulns that are in the
90 > security pipeline and haven't yet been issued as a glsa (since gentoo
91 > issues it after porting).
92 >
93 > 285 versions out of 24637 vulnerable (~1 out of every 86 vuln)
94 > 115 packages out of 11251 vulnreable (~1 out of every 98 vuln)
95 >
96 > http://gentooexperimental.org/~ferringb/vuln.log
97 >
98 > So... if that's the standard you want to hold them to, fine, state
99 > so- they may agree to it (although admittedly such a standard is
100 > stupid, there should be _no_ vuln packages).
101
102 Your list is rubbish. There're stable versions for all security wise supported
103 architectures and the relevant GLSA's. If users don't use them, it's their
104 local problem.
107 > > > And... just cause I'm mildly sick of this bullshit,
108 > >
109 > > And I'm sick of people, who miss the point.
110 >
111 > As stated above, be concise then. Your points came out of pretty
112 > much nowhere, poorly communicated, and rather vague in actually
113 > backing them up. Which... at least from the "backing up the
114 > complaints", has been the theme for the screaming folk thus far.
115
116 Do I have to learn you to read? See above.
119 > > We can change eclasses all the time, assuming all relevant ebuilds in the
120 > > tree get adjusted - just that no one cares for any overlay.
121 >
122 > No, actually you cannot.
123 >
124 > Just because you update the tree doesn't mean you're not going and
125 > breaking binpkgs, or the vdb installation.
126 >
127 > Read glep33 if you want the sordid back history and solution to it.
128 >
129 > Like I said, y'all violate it, doesn't mean it's right.
130
131 Is that a joke or what? I do support GLEP 33, but it's not implemented yet.
132 Also I can change eclasses in many ways breaking third party ebuilds, but not
133 binary packages. That aside, relying on binary packages without taking a
134 snapshot of the tree is rather brave. Gentoo is a more or less dynamic source
135 distribution and there is no ensurance binary packages will work "forever".
138 > > Local overlays are fine as the user exactly knows what he does in his
139 > > private overlay (and hopefully follows eclass changes), development
140 > > overlays are fine (assuming the group of people controls the releavant
141 > > overlays as well), overlays like Sunrise are problematic, not to use such
142 > > anal words as you do.
143 >
144 > Why are they problematic? Because of your assumption that they won't
145 > maintain it?
146
147 As I said: Security issue, eclass incompatiblities. Want another example? Here
148 it is: What if you have packges that need to block each other (usually
149 because of installing the same files). Mutual cross overlay blockers? Forget
150 it.
153 > So someone goes and breaks something in gentoo-x86 that breaks
154 > something for sunrise. Fine, it's sunrises' mess to clean up; they've
155 > volunteered to do this work, I don't see how you can claim it as a
156 > negative when they've accepted it as part of _their_ work.
157
158 The problems will pile up in bugs.g.o and "usally" with the wrong addressee.
159 This has been every now and then the case with other overlays as well as
160 users of distros building on Gentoo. I can live with that to a degree. But
161 when we do this mess ourselves, it get's highly annoying.
164 > Worth noting sunrise folk may be gentoo devs also- and as stated
165 > above, they're trying to extend beyond gentoo-x86; it's not like
166 > they're demanding you do things their way- far from it, it's actually
167 > the reverse, devs demanding things of sunrise. You break their shit,
168 > they'll fix it (it's the nature of this relationship, even though it
169 > should be _cooperative_ instead of "get lost" that seems to be the
170 > norm now).
171 >
172 > So again... how is this a negative? It's *their* damn time- if you
173 > wanted to be an ass and go break their stuff, as retarded as it is you
174 > _could_ because they stepped up for the job.
175
176 I have answered all that above.
179 > Granted, they may give you the finger and quit, or your remaining
180 > fellow devs may rightfully boot you for playing games, but the point
181 > stands- they stepped up to do the work, including cleaning up
182 > anything y'all may break for them.
183
184 You're doing it again. No I'm not playig games with you. I have reasonable
185 complaints and consider this sort of overlay a failure. Then an extra
186 development tree would be much better.
189 > You're not limited- they're the ones limited via trying to not step on
190 > gentoo-x86's toes. How is that a negative then?
191
192 I fear for the security of our user base, especially the lazy, uneducated
193 ricers and how this wll reflect on Gentoo's reputation as a whole. I fear
194 more annoying, invalid bug reports. I don't see any benefit for the existing
195 tree or Gentoo as a whole.
198 Carsten