From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:22:02
1 On 03/27/2014 18:26, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:43:24 +0000
3 > "Steven J. Long" wrote:
4 >> it's still rude of you to constantly quote people's email addresses
5 >
6 > Why is it rude? There are a lot of other developers on the list here
7 > that do this as well; so, if you want to see this changed then please
8 > bring it up for a vote. Un-CC-ed and stripped this time per request;
9 > being able to set this on a specific person, however, I don't see how
10 > to do that in my mailing client. Patches to do as such are welcome.
11
12 I think this is more a function of the mail client, not individual people's
13 preferences. I could've swore that Thunderbird, would use the following format:
14
15 "On <DATE> <TIME>, <NAME> <<EMAIL>> wrote:"
16
17 But now, it looks like Thunderbird drops the <<EMAIL>> portion. Must've
18 been a change in 17.x?
19
20 IMHO, trying to hide one's e-mail, especially on a rather large, well-known,
21 open-source project is an exercise in futility. I quote mine in my sig at
22 the bottom, it's in my PGP key, stored in the Changelogs I've touched over
23 the last decade, probably still in a few of the documentation pages on the
24 Gentoo website, and easily derivable from my known username and the Gentoo
25 domain name.
26
27 So, whatever floats people's shredded wheat, but I wouldn't worry about it.
28 If a spambot really wants your e-mail, it's going to find it and send you
29 free medical prescriptions or inform you of lost rich relatives in Nigeria,
30 whether you like it or not. If blame has to be assigned, blame the
31 underlying protocol(s). The fact that 21st century global business runs on
32 top of antiquated, ASCII-based, non-secure protocols developed in the 1970's
33 simply floors me.
36 Joshua Kinard
37 Gentoo/MIPS
38 kumba@g.o
39 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
40
41 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
42 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
43
44 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic