From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:23:26
1 On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:26:58AM -0400, Bryan D. Stine wrote:
2 > On Saturday July 10, 2004 12:04 am, Jeff Smelser wrote:
3 > > Nope.. Again, I want to see this 30 day poiicy.. And I also want to know
4 > > what this has to do with ebuilds out side kde, that are past 30 days..
5 > > Mysql, being one.
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/policy.xml#doc_chap4, the part about moving from
7 > ~ARCH to ARCH. "An indication of the package's stability would be no verified
8 > or unresolved bug report for a month after the version's introduction." There
9 > may be other factors involved in stability, like dependencies and such.
10 Furthermore:
11 "It is up to the maintainer of the package to deem which versions are
12 stable or if development versions should be in package.mask or left in
13 ~arch."
14
15 As one of the maintainers of MySQL, amongst other things, my general
16 policy is that I'd consider the month in ~arch as a baseline, depending
17 BOTH the importance of the package, how much the package gets used, and
18 also the scope of changes between versions (I'm the kind of guy that
19 will read diffs between versions sometimes, to verify that bugs are
20 fixed).
21
22 As an example of the shorter times, there are some packages I maintain
23 where I am the upstream developer, and it was a tool I wrote for my own
24 daily usage that others find useful, and for those they usually languish
25 for only two weeks in ~arch, BECAUSE I use them heavily every work day.
26 Another example here is when I can see the diff is extremely tiny,
27 and non-invasive in every way possible, or fixes an important/major
28 bug in the last arch version.
29
30 On the opposite side, I keep some of the packages I maintain in ~arch
31 for a lot longer, because I'm not yet confident enough they are in a
32 stable enough state to inflict upon users of arch. MySQL is a prime
33 example of this, where 4.0.19 was partially a screwup upstream, with
34 a nasty bug that affected users of InnoDB in production (yes, it bit
35 me) so I wanted to be damn sure that 4.0.20 was an improvement over
36 4.0.18.
39 Robin Hugh Johnson
40 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
41 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
42 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
43 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85