From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependency
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:04:46
1 On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On Nov 17, 2014, at 7:03 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 11/18/2014 12:47 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
7 >>> Am Dienstag, 18. November 2014, 00:38:36 schrieb hasufell:
8 >>>
9 >>> We just don't want to answer a thousand
10 >>> questions when things break for others. That is the whole point of sane
11 >>> defaults.
12 >>
13 >> Except that sane defaults are not a substitute for correct dependencies
14 >> (like people omitting USE flag deps on libsdl, because they assume users
15 >> won't disable them).
16 >>
17 >> Also, you don't have to answer questions if it's clear that certain
18 >> settings break stuff and what they break. There are ways to communicate
19 >> this (even in USE flag descriptions).
20 >> If you don't communicate it, then you will have to answers questions...
23 > Can we all agree that dependencies should be correct regardless of the use flag settings? And leave the rest of this discussion to the bikeshed it belongs in ? :)
24
25 Indeed.
26
27 Back to the original topic: as I understand it, toolchain deps are
28 just really hard to do correctly and would increase the complexity of
29 the average ebuild quite a lot, which is why we don't try. Especially
30 when you introduce the possibility of cross-compilation.