From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux documentation
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:29:59
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 07:03:51PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 >
5 > > It's true docbook transformation need much time with these xsl's. But
6 > > since we do not use dynamic XML generation time should not be the
7 > > problem.
8 >
9 > I think that a docbook-lite format could work. My concern with docbook
10 > wasn't as much the additional processing power needed, but the additional
11 > hours and hours that may be needed to write our own XSLT to conver docbook
12 > to our desired HTML format. When designing the XSLT, it would seem that
13 > having only the XML tags we need (and no more) would be an advantage.
14 >
15 If you take a look at the html output, you will see that all tags have a
16 name or class element.
17 So using a local stylesheet should be ok for the beginning.
18
19 BTW: There is a new package app-text/docbook2X which can be used to
20 convert docbook to man and info
21 pages. It uses alot of perl XML modules and internaly uses XML::DOM and
22 not XML::Sablotron or XML::LibXSLT
23
24 Maybe we can extend this package to amke use of the newer parsers and
25 add html and fo output (maybe pdf too)
26 to it.
27 Then we would have a nice frontend docs.
28
29 achim~
30
31 > Best Regards,