From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: git security (SHA-1)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 07:15:29
1 Dnia 2014-09-20, o godz. 21:20:34
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > You're following the wrong train down the wrong tracks. Git [0-9a-f]{40} is
6 > > to CVS 1[.][1-9][0-9]+. You're arguing that CVS is more secure because its
7 > > commits are sequential numbers.
8 >
9 > Ulrich is well-aware of that. His argument is that with cvs there is
10 > no security whatsoever in the scm, and so there is more interest in
11 > layering security on-top. With git there is more of a tendency to
12 > rely on the less-than-robust commit signing system.
13 >
14 > We could always just keep full manifests in the tree and be no worse
15 > off than with cvs.
16
17 And we would be no better off than with CVS. We'd have huge repository
18 with a lot of redundant space-eating data and the impossibility of sane
19 merges or rebases.
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny