From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: git security (SHA-1)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 01:20:41
1 On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > You're following the wrong train down the wrong tracks. Git [0-9a-f]{40} is
3 > to CVS 1[.][1-9][0-9]+. You're arguing that CVS is more secure because its
4 > commits are sequential numbers.
5
6 Ulrich is well-aware of that. His argument is that with cvs there is
7 no security whatsoever in the scm, and so there is more interest in
8 layering security on-top. With git there is more of a tendency to
9 rely on the less-than-robust commit signing system.
10
11 We could always just keep full manifests in the tree and be no worse
12 off than with cvs.
13
14 I sill think it makes more sense to start with a threat model and go
15 from there. There are a lot of devs with a lot of keys and a lot of
16 steps on servers where the tree has to be manipulated.
17
18 One of the advantages of robust commit signing would be that in the
19 event there was a compromise it would be a lot easier to go back and
20 clean up the mess.
23 Rich