From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:36:08
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > If you turn off features you need, things break. There's nothing new
3 > about that. If you disable ext3 support in your kernel, you can't mount
4 > an ext3 partition and you'll get an error during boot about not finding
5 > the root.
6
7 I see your point, but extended attributes aren't as common as ext3, are
8 they. And stuff that got broken because Portage suddenly started to
9 require new features on the kernel side is bad.
10
11 > The idea of the sqlite-based fallback is what's interesting here.
12
13 If it is a fallback that must be supported (because of NFS), then there
14 isn't much point in using xattrs. What benefits do they provide? There's
15 no speed constraint here as we already cache metadata somewhere.
16
17 >> Also note that in some circumstances like when running in a
18 >> virtualized environment, imposing additional requirements on the kernel
19 >> might be problematic.
20 >
21 > Why's that?
22
23 Things with Xen got better than they were, but I can imagine a situation
24 where some hosting provider offers their customers a virtual Xen box and
25 their kernel configuration doesn't include extended attributes. You
26 can't use your own kernel without access to dom0.
27
28 >> It wouldn't be great to require extended attributes for each and every
29 >> Gentoo box...
30 >
31 > Why not?
32
33 Because they aren't so common, NFS doesn't support them and we haven't
34 ever required them.
35
36 Cheers,
37 -jkt
40 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth