From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:12:42
1 On 10:43 Thu 20 Dec , Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Looking at my kernel config, ext3 and reiser explicitly support
4 > > xattrs, and I see jfs and xfs have acls and security labels, which
5 > > might be usable.
6 >
7 > Extended attributes can be turned off during compile time for each
8 > filesystem you mentioned.
9
10 And?
11
12 If you turn off features you need, things break. There's nothing new
13 about that. If you disable ext3 support in your kernel, you can't mount
14 an ext3 partition and you'll get an error during boot about not finding
15 the root.
16
17 > NFSv3 doesn't support them (yes, I do share $PORTDIR).
18
19 While doing a search about this, I came across a page on the Beagle site
20 describing how Beagle deals with a similar issue that says:
21
22 "Extended attributes are used by Beagle to keep track of which files
23 have been indexed and which need to be re-indexed. There is a
24 sqlite-based fallback which is a bit slower, so it is recommended that
25 you do use extended attributes. ...
26
27 "Your kernel will need support for extended attributes on the filesystem
28 you are indexing. If you are using XFS or JFS, extended attributes are
29 always enabled and you can skip this section and move on to Installing
30 prerequisites. For Reiser3, ext2 and ext3 filesystems, the default
31 kernel config does not enable the attributes. ...
32
33 "Also note that neither Reiser4 nor NFS support extended attributes, so
34 the sqlite-based fallback will be used by default."
35
36 The idea of the sqlite-based fallback is what's interesting here.
37
38 > Also note that in some circumstances like when running in a
39 > virtualized environment, imposing additional requirements on the kernel
40 > might be problematic.
41
42 Why's that? Here's some performance tests from 3 years ago on a 2.6.10
43 kernel that hopefully have improved in the meanwhile:
44
45 http://lwn.net/Articles/112566/
46
47 > It wouldn't be great to require extended attributes for each and every
48 > Gentoo box...
49
50 Why not?
51