From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Things one could be upset about
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 15:33:58
1 On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:45:51 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:39:29 +0300
3 > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
4 > > There is some progress here. In portage-2.2.15 profile based
5 > > optimizations are included (see bugs 529660, 530010). On my
6 > > hardware (Athlon-XP, 2200 MHz and Intel Atom N270, 1600 MHz) they
7 > > speed up dependency resolution by ~ factor 2.
8 >
9 > The problem isn't the constants, though. The problem is the resolution
10 > algorithm. There's not much point tweaking performance until the
11 > resolver is fixed to produce a correct answer...
12
13 Oh, this was discussed so many times already... There is NO single
14 correct solution to such problems. And some mathematically correct
15 solutions are impractical (e.g. half of the tree rebuild), so other
16 ones which are good enough are preferred. As long as imperfect
17 solution works fine, I'm ok with it.
18
19 As for paludis, I tried it. Everything mentioned below is my
20 _personal_ experience and not supposed to pretend to be objective.
21 So, from my experience paludis turned out to be:
22
23 - slower then portage (I don't care here if it is more correct or
24 not, I just want to do my daily job);
25
26 - not fully compatible with portage: it triggers a lot of problems
27 portage doesn't. While this may be good for QA and tree
28 improvement, I don't want to hang my workflow due to these issues;
29
30 - importare instead of local overlay is a complete nightmare:
31 usually I don't want to install package exactly as make install
32 does: often it lacks some required files (e.g. init scripts) or
33 installs something unneeded on Gentoo system.
34 Besides I use local overlay to test packages before committing to
35 public overlays or Gentoo main tree. Lack of local overlay support
36 is sufficient to send paludis straight to waste bin on my systems.
37
38 - completely insane command line options, arguments required to do
39 what I want to do are quite cumbersome, portage is much saner here.
40
41 Everything above is just my personal experience, so your mileage
42 may vary. But after all that issues I don't even want to try
43 paludis in the foreseeable future.
44
45 Best regards,
46 Andrew Savchenko