From: Max Kalika <max@g.o>
To: splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EID database and entries getting to baselayout
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:25:59
1 Quoting splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu:
2
3 > In our case, our account database is shared among Solaris, IRIX, Mac OS X,
4 > BSD, and Linux boxes, so I can't have ebuilds using static ID numbers, as
5 > there's a good chance they're already in use.
6
7 This is all the more reason to have static UIDs/GIDs. I have all user
8 accounts in mysql with UIDs and GIDs starting at 2000, however if I go
9 install something that requires a system account which is not in
10 baselayout's passwd or group file, this new account gets the the next
11 available UID (i.e. proftpd is now running as 2203). Not cool. However,
12 if it is explicit that all UIDs below, say, 500 are to be reserved for the
13 system, and enewuser looks up the UID in PORTDIR/profiles/eid.passwd, the
14 whole process of creating users is controlled and predictable. We can
15 probably go as far as mucking repoman to check that enew{user,group} calls
16 are referencing "known" users and groups, and prevent commits which fail
17 this restriction. (Just a thought).
18
19 There are difficulties with other OSes, of course (Daniel referred to
20 MacOSX in the bug that deals with this issue.) I don't know if it would be
21 easier to try to solve all these problems ahead of time or come up with a
22 solution for the "wider audience" now and try to convert later.
25 max kalika
26 .. public key: http://www.gentoo.org/~max/max.asc
27 .. fingerprint: 2D59 74B5 8785 3C22 74F2 87B0 6DD4 E810 CBC3 AB79