From: splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EID database and entries getting to baselayout
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:00:55
1 On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 02:43:53PM -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > A long time ago (May 2003), on gentoo-core, a discussion was held as to
3 > a consistant way to add new users as required by ebuilds for daemons.
4
5 Could we have a FEATURE flag or somesuch to disable autocreation of
6 users/groups? enew{user,group} could abort the build with a message
7 to the effect of "create user foo with uid x and rerun emerge".
8
9 For sites using NIS or LDAP to manage accounts, having ebuilds mucking
10 with the local password and group files is a pain that has to be undone
11 after each emerge. Or they have to maintain copies of ebuilds in overlay
12 directories with the enew{user,group} calls commented out.
13
14 In our case, our account database is shared among Solaris, IRIX, Mac OS X,
15 BSD, and Linux boxes, so I can't have ebuilds using static ID numbers, as
16 there's a good chance they're already in use.
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list