From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't use UIDs and GIDs below 100 without QA approval
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:16:18
1 On 2021-11-11 11:59, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > We could:
3 >
4 > - Open some part of the range between 500 and 1000. For example,
5 > 500..799, which would leave 200 IDs for dynamic allocation.
6 >
7 > - Open part of the range 60001..65533. Not sure if all software will be
8 > happy with that.
9 >
10 > - Admit that the concept of static allocation has failed, and return to
11 > dynamic allocation.
12
13 Only the third option is really possible.
14
15 The first option (500-1000) would be technically possible but would
16 clash with knowledge people gained in the past and would violate LPIC
17 (=making Gentoo even more special and unusable for companies relying on
18 certifications).
19
20 In addition, it would just delay the problem we currently have and not
21 solve/address it.
22
23 Allowing ranges 60001+ is technically not an option. Expect that daemons
24 using IDs >1000 will run into problems. Expect security problems because
25 known system user range is hardcoded in many places so 60001+ is
26 unexpected. This will really make Gentoo 'unique' in a really bad way
27 and will break with everything which is/was being taught/documented in
28 the world.
29
30 Let's face it: The idea of static ID allocation didn't scale. Let's stop
31 this experiment before it is too late. Like you know, I always ask why
32 someone is proposing a change, i.e. asking for the motivation. The main
33 driver behind static IDs was that when you are maintaining multiple
34 systems, that if IDs are identical, it will make life a little bit
35 easier because you could copy files from service A on system 1 to
36 service A on system 2 without the need of adjusting permission
37 afterwards. But is this really a problem? From my POV it isn't:
38
39 1) If this really was bothering you, you already had a solution in
40 place. Keep in mind: Most setups don't just consist of
41 Gentoo/Debian/RHEL-only... you usually have a mix of setups so you need
42 a solution which works everywhere so you don't need that 'feature'
43 Gentoo offered (not to mention that you probably have something like AD
44 in place which will make things like that very easy).
45
46 2) Pay attention to the way how you do stuff today. You will not create
47 systems manually anymore (and if you do, you would just clone so there
48 isn't even a need for this). You will automate this in scripts and use
49 tools like Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet.... and of course, Dockers (which
50 is basically a script) and like mentioned, AD.
51
52 From my POV I cannot imagine a single reason why we should stick to
53 this idea and invest more time into it with the risk of making Gentoo
54 more unique causing more _severe_ problems in future.
55
56 Anyone who wants to keep this around and wants to extend UID ranges
57 instead should answer the following questions:
58
59 1) How are you going to solve the mentioned problems?
60
61 2) Why do you believe this feature is worth all the trouble?
62
63 3) At the moment we can stop. But once we start altering systems to mark
64 additional ranges for system users there is _no_ easy way back anymore.
65 Any blow up will probably require user to reinstall their entire system...
69 Regards,
70 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
71 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature