From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:28:36
1 Samuli Suominen:
2 > So, -1, useless rebuilds is one of the biggest problems lately
3
4 I am not sure if that is a joke.
5
6 We have:
7 * a broken PM which does incomplete dep calculation, gives wrong
8 suggestions to the user, has totally useless error/debug output,
9 randomly fails to remove files, allows to break your system in numerous
10 ways and whatnot... and I'm not going through bugzilla now to prove it
11 * overcomplex eclasses, because people try to avoid getting stuff into
12 the PM, resulting in more confusion for the PM
13 * repeatedly broken stable packages
14 * people coding against a PM instead of PMS and thus relying on
15 undocumented behavior and breaking the "meta-distribution" part of gentoo
16 * a PM codebase no one wants to be involved in
17
18 and you tell me the biggest problems are useless rebuilds?
19
20 Reality check, please. (btw... I didn't come up with the subslot idea,
21 so maybe check with those guys about useless rebuilds)
24 Removing dynamic deps is an easy way to improve the strictness of
25 portage, adhere better to PMS and improve compatibility with other PMs.
26
27 After that, we can discuss if there is a _sane_ way to avoid such rebuilds.