From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Local workarounds with no reported bugs
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:16:47
1 On Monday, October 17, 2016 9:23:09 AM EDT Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > Example: udev people had problems with MULTILIB_WRAPPED_HEADERS
4 > in the past. Instead of contacting me (which would result in helpful
5 > explanation how to do things properly), they abused bash to disable
6 > the check function implicitly in the ebuilds.
7
8 Should we call "bash protective services" to report the abuse? They and I have
9 no tolerance for bash abusers, they should be dealt with swiftly...
10
11 Now to go abuse ksh...
12
13 > Nobody bothered to inform me of the issue there. Instead, I had to
14 > notice it looking at the udev ebuilds accidentally. Furthermore, in
15 > most of the ebuilds the workaround was no longer necessary but nobody
16 > bothered to check that.
17
18 How would they know to contact you? Is it documented as the work flow
19 somewhere?
20
21 > So we have a problem that affects around a half of git-r3 packages
22 > (using quick grep, results inaccurate), however minor it is. Worse, it
23 > affects the policy of preferring https and causes some people to reject
24 > the policy silently. And nobody gives a damn to report it!
25
26 If you see a problem fix it. If you have something to contribute to further a
27 package then make the change. That in my opinion is working as a team,
28 collaboration.
29
30 Also report the issues/changes in the log, tends to make a better argument in
31 the long run and a better learning process and environment.
34 William L. Thomson Jr.