From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Seeking questions for a user survey
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:10:35
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:56:36AM +0000, Steve Long wrote:
4 >> Ryan Hill wrote:
5 >> > I agree, though year of birth might be interesting. Income and
6 >> > children are a bit too private.
7 >> >
8 >> ++ in general although I do think parenthood (if responsible) is as
9 >> relevant as age. A 28 year old with a 5 year old kid has a lot to show a
10 >> 35 year old doctoral student with no kids, even if it's not all
11 >> technical. # of kids isn't relevant.
12 > I put # of kids in there as a lark, perhaps it might be better as 'do
13 > you have children', with an eye to seeing how it affects their package
14 > choices - see games and education packages for kids, plus the previous
15 > USE=offensive debate on the desktop backgrounds with scantily-clad
16 > woman.
17 >
18 Heh yeah, we often get people using inappropriate language in #gentoo-chat
19 and have to explain that, well some of us have children who can see the
20 screen. I highly recommend gcompris for anyone with younger kids btw.
21
22 >> Maybe it's not something you want to ask the users, but it would be more
23 >> interesting wrt devs, as would statistics on standard Equal Ops
24 >> monitoring (a legal requirement on employers in the UK, even if the
25 >> person declines to answer, which is ofc their right.)
26 > Go some good links on that? They might have good question wording we can
27 > borrow?
28 >
29 Can I firstly apologise as I appear to have misunderstood (I am not a
30 lawyer, I'm a coder.) The requirement is on public authorities and, I
31 think, publically funded organisations. I worked at a Students' Union (as
32 full-time staff) in the early 90s, and it was impressed upon me (when I sat
33 on an interview panel) that we had a legal obligation to actively *promote*
34 Equal Opportunities.
35
36 The main organisation in the UK for this now is the new Equality and Human
37 Rights Commission at http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/
38
39 Bradford University's Equality Unit have an excellent site at
40 http://www.brad.ac.uk/equality/
41 with policies and summary of relevant legislation at
42 http://www.brad.ac.uk/admin/equalopp/policies/
43 The Higher Education Funding Council for England's Equality and diversity
44 unit has a good site at: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/lgm/divers/
45
46 Employers have a duty under the legislation discussed above not to
47 discriminate. All of this comes under the umbrella term "Equal
48 Opportunities", best-practise for which comes from the public-sector. It is
49 harder for larger organisations to defend a discrimination case if they do
50 not monitor aiui:
51 "The purpose of monitoring is to enable you to examine how your policy and
52 action plan are working. If your policy is fully effective and has been in
53 operation for some time your workforce should be broadly representative of
54 the population of the geographical area from which it is drawn or
55 demonstrably moving in that direction. Monitoring enables you to assess
56 this."
57 http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=828
58 which is a good link to see what employers are advised to do.
59
60 Certainly the term "An Equal Opportunities Employer" has been in use for
61 years, and implies that there are policies and monitoring in place, as well
62 as a commitment to the promotion of EOPS.
63
64 HTH.
68 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list