From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Michael Cummings <mcummings@××××××××.net>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge clean *IS* EVIL
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 05:44:25
1 On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 21:41, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > OK, so a few weeks I thumbed through a thread on here about emerge clean
3 > being automatic was bad, didn't pay it nearly enough heed. I just had a
4 > box do an autoclean and clean out an older version of supersed - which,
5 > campers, cleans out a few necessary sed pieces, which, further makes it
6 > impossible to emerge (since you kind of need sed for all of our patch as
7 > you go ebuilds to work...and oddly enough, you need a sed for sed to
8 > install....).
9 >
10 > So, to all ye who scoffed last time...look out...
11 >
12 > now to go see what a make.conf looks like these days to see if i can
13 > disable that nastiness
16 To be honest, it does more good than bad.
17 Problem though, is that in some rare cases,
18 especially when you have a old installation
19 of Gentoo, it seems to unmerge the new
20 SLOT'ed version, and not the old unsloted
21 version.
22
23 I had this once, so remerged few things, fixed
24 others with binary packages, and then checked
25 the clean bit for the next while on this box, and it
26 never happned again after all the packages have
27 been SLOT'ed ...
32 Martin Schlemmer
33 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
34 Cape Town, South Africa