From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ideas/bugs
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 17:06:16
1 On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 20:39, Christian Loitsch wrote:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > I just finished compiling the base system on an MMX-130 Mhz with 48MB of
5 > Ram. (slow but doable). Note that 48MB were nearly always enough for
6 > the compilation! (ok glibc would have liked more ;).
7 >
8 > I made some observations, and would like to know, which of them are
9 > considered as bugs. (so that I can enter them in bugzilla)
10 >
11 > * why is there an mta-mysql USE flag, and no mta-postgres?
12
13 I'm thinking there should not be a mta-postgres one, as the
14 MTA should compile in either if 'mysql' or 'postgres' is in
15 the USE.
16
17 > * why do you call the postgresql-flag postgres? After all its name is
18 > postgresql (you don't call mysql mys)
19
20 Shortness ? Not sure on this one.
21
22 > * why are the permissions of /etc/make.conf so strict (only 600 on my
23 > machine) (i hope it wasn't me who changed them ;)
24
25 Mine is 0644. Should not really make a difference until
26 user 'emerging' is implemented.
27
28 > * as I am behind a firewall, which asks for username and password, I
29 > could not use wget. The only program, which is (afaik!) capable of
30 > even "tunneling" through an ftp-proxy is lftp.
31 > I downloaded a static version (and modified the lftp-get script, so
32 > that it accepted a Path-option) and it worked really well.
33 > But it took me quite some time to realize that bootstrap doesn't use
34 > FETCHCOMMAND. You could at least mention it somewhere.
35 > I also really think that lftp is more appropriate than wget.
36 > * fortunately I have access to a machine outside the firewall and was
37 > therefore able to make the rsync there and then download it via ftp,
38 > would be really nice, to do this directly.
39 > * why does the installation of grub won't work if /boot is not a
40 > partition on its own? (had no cdrom and "installed" the iso-image
41 > temporarely on the boot-partition)
42
43 I think it is a oversite/bug of a recent bug fix, will have
44 a look later on if I get the time.
45
46 > * my installed system works "worse" than the iso-image.
47 > the installation-manual does not explain how to set up the right
48 > keyboard and "make menuconfig" shows funny chars instead of the lines.
49 > (afaik this is only an Env. variable, but which one)
50
51 You should edit /etc/rc.conf. Check the Desktop guide, as I
52 am almost sertain its in there.
53
54 > * depscan is maybe not called with the right params in the boot-scripts:
55 > depscan: Usage depscan ....
56
57 This probibly means you have a old/broken script in
58 /etc/init.d. The next baselayout should fix this issue.
59
60 > * why do you ask users in you manual to execute depmod, if it is in 1 of
61 > your boot-scripts?
62
63 Extra info/help that was included in the rc-scripts later on
64 to make life more painless. Cannot hurt to remind a user,
65 but guess we can remove it if its really that a big a deal.
66
67 > * I guess the best way to avoid "broken" Gentoos because of forgetting
68 > the -w option with nano, would be to make an alias right at the
69 > beginning. (like nanow)
70
71 Gentoo is in general for system admin's and developers
72 intended (last time I checked), this we try to educate, rather
73 than spoon feed.
74
75 > * i think that you should also treat pcmcia a little bit in your
76 > install-manual.
77
78 On the TODO list somewhere.
79
80 > * because of wrong parameters the pcmcia-boot-script failed. But there
81 > was no message. like [ FAIL ]
84 Submit a bug report at http://bugs.gentoo.org/
87 > * I have not yet verified the next point:
88 > I have a pcmcia-network-card, but because of a race condition (will
89 > make a bug-report), I had to remove the net.eth0 script (rc-update del
90 > net.eth0), and call it manually.
91 > Surprisingly when I halt the system there is still a message:
92 > ?? Bringing down eth0 ?? which of course fails, because I brought
93 > it down already manually.
96 You sure you did a '/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop' as well ?
97 What exactly is the race condition ?
100 > Please note that I do _not_ consider everything I mentioned as bug!
103 Sure :)
107 Greetings,
111 Martin Schlemmer
112 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
113 Cape Town, South Africa