From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc 2.23 and willfully breaking stuff
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 08:03:10
1 On 4/19/16 1:41 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 >
3 > i waited until the known bugs died down. i don't have access to a
4 > tinderbox system myself.
5
6 you didn't notice that coreutils and systemd/udev/eudev broke? anyhow,
7 i don't think this whole affair is as bad as i first did, its an easy
8 fix to pkgs. but a heads up would have been useful. you don't need a
9 full tinderbox run for glibc upgrades, just a complete rebuild of
10 @system in a stage3 chroot on amd64 is probably enough.
13 > not today, but as i said, we want to move multiple libraries (at least
14 > glibc, uClibc, musl, and bionic) in that direction. the current behavior
15 > violates the POSIX standard.
18 i took a look at opengroup.org and it seems posix is silent on the
19 matter. i might have missed something though. musl which is sticks
20 pretty close to standards includes major/minor/makedev in sys/types. but
21 guards it behind _GNU_SOURCE or _BSD_SOURE. i don't know what
22 glibc-2.23 did with types.h and sysmacros.h (did they just drop it
23 hard?), but proceeding as musl did doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
27 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
28 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
29 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
31 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA