From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:37:09
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> writes:
2
3 > Meanwhile, you might try googling Zynot. That was one early, perhaps the
4 > first, Gentoo fork. Such talk of cutthroat competition in a zero-sum
5 > game, of deliberately cutting off user options so they'd be forced to
6 > stick with you, of it can be us or them, not both, etc, was exactly the
7 > sort of thing they tried. That was 2002/2003 or so. While the events
8 > and acrimony surrounding that did ultimately drive Gentoo's founder
9 > (Daniel Robbins) elsewhere, Gentoo survived (thanks in part to drobbins'
10 > efforts to secure a good future for it even at heavy personal cost to
11 > himself and his family as he was already in the process of leaving).
12 > Gentoo's still here, but where is zynot today?
13 >
14 > I remember back in early 2004 as I was researching my switch to gentoo,
15 > reading up on zynot, which was at that time still a going concern, and
16 > repeatedly asking myself as I read the essays from zynot's founder
17 > heavily criticizing gentoo and its founder, why can't he see what's
18 > happening, that every single thing he's negatively pointing at in gentoo
19 > and drobbins he and zynot are doing themselves in far greater measure,
20 > and why he was so stuck on closed source competitive techniques in an
21 > open source world. His very essays, supposedly criticizing gentoo,
22 > instead ended up convincing me more than ever that gentoo was /exactly/
23 > the right choice for me. =:^)
24
25 Wow... What a history! I am educated. Thanks for sharing.
26
27 I've always been interested in my distro's history. The information
28 scatters here and there. It'll be nice if some senior/retired developers
29 write up a Gentoo history on wiki.g.o :)
30
31 Benda