From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] College Course in Gentoo Development
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:40:43
1 On 12/17/2012 10:32 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > Give the talk on the list about attracting devs, I've should probably
5 > mention that I'm teaching a College Course on Gentoo Development next
6 > semester. I know two students will most likely go through the
7 > recruitment process, others may at least contribute. So its like GSoC
8 > but the focus is not one project but an overview of general gentoo
9 > development, and I will have to touch on lots of stuff outside of gentoo
10 > per se, like how autotools and other build systems work.
11 >
12 > So what should I teach? Here's what I've got off the top of my head:
13 >
14 > 1. Open source communities and Gentoo's internal political structure.
15 >
16 > 2. Building a gentoo system, ie the handbook. Gentoo as metadistribution.
17 >
18 > 3. Delivering the goods: code -> build system -> portage -> compiled
19 > goodies -> working system
20 >
21 > 4. How to work with gnu autotools. Writing a build system.
22 >
23 > 5. How to write ebuilds, ie the dev manual. How to work with cvs and git.
24 >
25 > 6. Arches, arch testing. Profiles.
26 >
27 > 7. Building stages. Catalyst.
28 >
29 > Somewhere in there I'll squeeze in Gentoo's "alt" factor: alternative c
30 > libs, alternative compilers and hardening, alternative kernels, prefixes.
31 >
32 > Please comment. If it gets systematized enough, it can be a guide to
33 > future devs too. Everything will be creative commons.
36 You might want to have a lecture about software licensing.