From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel team: please make up your mind
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:00:27
1 On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 03:50:19PM -0600, Jason Wever wrote:
2 > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Greg KH wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 03:15:05PM -0600, Jason Wever wrote:
5 > > > Can we please get a consistent answer on 2.6 kernels when it comes to
6 > > > sparc? We used to have sparc-development-sources, which we were told to
7 > > > consolidate into development-sources. Now today with absolutely 0
8 > > > notification what-so-ever, our patchsets to development-sources were
9 > > > yanked because it wasn't the appropriate place.
10 > >
11 > > Sorry for the stress. There really isn't a kernel team anymore, becides
12 > > me and a few others, and we all seem strung accross different timezones
13 > > these days.
14 >
15 > That's about the size of most of our teams. What was so dire about the
16 > sparc patch to development-sources that it had to be removed right this
17 > instant without consulting both SPARC and your own kernel team?
18
19 There was a bug marked for this. Sorry for being quick on it. I was
20 also told a while ago that the sparc team had their own kernel. I never
21 thought it was this one (as the metadata file sure didn't say that...)
22
23 > > Here's the answer:
24 > > - development-sources are clean kernel.org kernels
25 > > - gentoo-dev-sources are the current 2.6 kernel trees for all
26 > > arches. There is no cesspool of patches in there, and it is
27 > > the kernel for the ppc64, amd64, x86, and a few other arches.
28 > > Making it the sparc kernel too is no big deal.
29 > >
30 > > This is needed so that bugs and security fixes that previously have not
31 > > gotten put into the d-s package get applied across all arches quickly
32 > > and easily.
33 > >
34 > > I am willing and able to help the sparc team (and any other arch) to
35 > > make the g-d-s package work for them.
36 > >
37 > > Is that acceptable?
38 >
39 > Yes and no. I'm definitely willing to help work with you to get that
40 > patch set in there. However that doesn't change the fact that the
41 > adjustment of the packages today was very bad as it wasn't communicated at
42 > all to allow us to at least notify our users that things will change.
43 > Removing our patchset can and will cause problems for people who were
44 > using development-sources on sparc, and more than just because they have
45 > to switch what kernel they use.
46
47 But they get security fixes for free with that switch, that's a good
48 reason to do so :)
49
50 > If you want to make changes that's fine, just please consider the
51 > ramifications of those changes and let the people who will be effected
52 > know with enough time before-hand so that they can do what is needed to
53 > help make those migration changes as smooth as possible.
54
55 Again, sorry for the speed at which this happened, I am very sorry about
56 it.
57
58 thanks,
59