From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Including a warning to restart daemons after an update.
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:17:21
1 Anthony G. Basile posted on Sun, 21 Aug 2011 07:29:45 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Hi everyone,
4 >
5 > After updating libraries, I always run something like
6 >
7 > lsof -x / | grep DEL
8 >
9 > to see if any running binaries are linking to old libraries that were
10 > just updated and then I manually restart them. This is particularly
11 > important if the update addresses some security issue in the library.
12
13 > I'm wondering if we should add something like that? Something to be run
14 > post_inst() and just ewarn the user. It could be a small eclass on its
15 > own that maintainers can elect to inherit and use in ebuilds for
16 > daemons.
17
18 There's the lib_users binary and package, which I've been using, but
19 having portage run it (or the like) automatically, at the end of an
20 emerge, would be useful.
21
22 IMO having it as an eclass isn't useful, since that would be at the
23 individual package level. But having something like
24 FEATURES=warn-deleted , with output similar to that of lib_users at the
25 end of an emerge, could be useful indeed. Thanks for the idea! =:^)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman