From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, base-system@g.o, multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: multilib and fhs 3
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:36:53
1 Dnia 2015-10-10, o godz. 17:48:15
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > All,
5 >
6 > fhs 3.0 was approved in June this year [1] [2].
7 >
8 > The piece of it that I want to bring up is the lib and libxx
9 > directories, both in / and /usr. The way I read the fhs, /lib and
10 > /usr/lib should hold the files for the default abi and /libxx and
11 > /usr/libxx should hold the files for the alternate abis. In earlier fhs,
12 > there was an exception for amd64 which stated that the default libraries
13 > should be in /lib64 and /usr/lib64. However, that exception is now gone.
14
15 Which only proves we ended up with yet another broken, pointless spec
16 that's missing the point and can't be implemented sanely. I don't see
17 a point discussing it further.
18
19 > I know there was discussion/work in the past on removing the lib->lib64
20 > symlinks on amd64, but I don't remember what happened to that
21 > discussion. So, I would like to bring it up again and get the info.
22 >
23 > What would it take for us to remove the lib->lib64 links?
24 >
25 > What would it take for us to do this migration on live systems?
26
27 vapier was working on it but it would probably involve lot more
28 politics than we can handle right now. He's got some script to fix live
29 systems but it is a quite dangerous operation by design, so I'm not
30 convinced we really want to play with live systems like that.
31
32 > [1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/FHS
33 > [2] http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.html
36 Best regards,