From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:43:37
1 On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Michael Palimaka
2 <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 07/12/2017 12:25 AM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
4 >> On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:15:51 +0200
5 >> Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On 07/11/2017 04:13 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
8 >>>> On 07/11/2017 03:47 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
9 >>>>> The main risk of breakage of a package moving from testing to
10 >>>>> stable is always at build time anyway.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> citation needed
13 >>>>
14 >>>
15 >>> Anecdotal evidence against, currently gnupg 2.1.21 scdaemon bug will
16 >>> happily sign a third party public keyblock's UID using signature
17 >>> subkey on smartcard, which results in useless signature that doesn't
18 >>> have any effect, but the application builds fine.
19 >>>
20 >>> This means gnupg 2.1.21 is not a candidate for stabilization, but it
21 >>> certainly builds fine.
22 >>
23 >> This is a good opportunity to remind ourselves what stable means. Are
24 >> we referring exclusively to our packaging or are upstream issues taken
25 >> into account too? 30 days seems like a reasonable time for any upstream
26 >> issues to be reported. Unfortunately security issues mean that new
27 >> releases sometimes get stabilised immediately. Ideally these releases
28 >> would carry just the security fixes but that isn't always the case.
31 > I think we should consider both our packaging as well as upstream
32 > issues, and I agree that for most packages 30 days in ~arch is enough
33 > time to smoke out upstream issues.
36 Agree. Arch testing is really more of a sanity test. I think there
37 is some value in runtime testing, but perhaps it is a bit of a luxury
38 compared to build testing.
39
40 It isn't going to detect obscure bugs. The only way to do something
41 like that is to have an extensive testing protocol for each package,
42 and almost nobody can afford to do that let alone Gentoo. Upstream
43 might be able to do it in some cases, though unfortunately not in our
44 environment. To the extent that upstream supplies working automated
45 tests we can try to leverage those.
48 Rich