From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:35:50
1 On 07/12/2017 12:25 AM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:15:51 +0200
3 > Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 07/11/2017 04:13 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
6 >>> On 07/11/2017 03:47 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
7 >>>> The main risk of breakage of a package moving from testing to
8 >>>> stable is always at build time anyway.
9 >>>
10 >>> citation needed
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> Anecdotal evidence against, currently gnupg 2.1.21 scdaemon bug will
14 >> happily sign a third party public keyblock's UID using signature
15 >> subkey on smartcard, which results in useless signature that doesn't
16 >> have any effect, but the application builds fine.
17 >>
18 >> This means gnupg 2.1.21 is not a candidate for stabilization, but it
19 >> certainly builds fine.
20 >
21 > This is a good opportunity to remind ourselves what stable means. Are
22 > we referring exclusively to our packaging or are upstream issues taken
23 > into account too? 30 days seems like a reasonable time for any upstream
24 > issues to be reported. Unfortunately security issues mean that new
25 > releases sometimes get stabilised immediately. Ideally these releases
26 > would carry just the security fixes but that isn't always the case.
29 I think we should consider both our packaging as well as upstream
30 issues, and I agree that for most packages 30 days in ~arch is enough
31 time to smoke out upstream issues.