From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Disable --autounmask auto-unmasking keywords / masks by default
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 08:09:54
1 On 10/9/19 7:57 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 19:45:34 -0700
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'd prefer to disable --autounmask by default and include warnings about
6 >> harmful behavior in the documentation.
7 >
8 > I think autounmasks behaviour with regards to USE flags is useful,
9 > (heh), its just everything else it does tends to violate stability
10 > assumptions.
11 >
12 > For instance, I can see why automatically escalating "arch" to "~arch"
13 > may be useful in some cases, but its a very dangerous default,
14 > *especially* for perl.
15
16 We can add --autounmask-use=<y|n> option that's enabled by default when
17 --autounmask is unspecified.
18
19 When --autounmask=y is specified, we'll have full autounmask behavior.
20
21 When --autounmask=n is specified, we'll have --autounmask-use=n behavior.
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac