From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 03:35:25
1 On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 20:11 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Please don't remove it, and don't replace it with xmms2. There are far too many
3 > media type plugins that work for xmms that audacious and similar players can't
4 > handle. Also, will xmms plugins even work in xmms2? And isn't xmms2 still a
5 > command line-only application? Not what users need or want. Perhaps the most
6 > compelling reason to keep xmms around and *not* use xmms2 is the one you just made:
7 >
8 Yes xmms2 is just the "server" it needs clients to be like the old xmms.
9 But it contains a modern design and it will be able to support almost
10 every type of plugins that the current xmms supports.
11
12 > > Xmms2 is a good player that needs of course ages of
13 > > development to be able to be like xmms.
14 >
15 > So, don't dump a product that's not even near alpha status on users. If we want
16 > to keep using software that's old, but works just fine, why force a really
17 > stupid switch?
18 >
19 It's not alpha status... it's very close to a final product afaik. It's
20 working fine(apart from scons crap :P) and the design provides very easy
21 maintainence compared to the old xmms.
22
23 > Can you provide a list of open fairly important bugs for xmms that provide good
24 > examples of why you don't want to maintain it? Just so we can see your reasoning.
25 >
26 You can just look at bugs.g.o and those bugs are not easy to fix. Most
27 of them require lot's of time to dive into the sources and fix it on a
28 repository (upstream job). For a distro maintainer like us it's a pain
29 to maintain it.
30
31 > You may think xmms is obsolete, but it has a pretty decent niche among the
32 > available player choices; I know I'm not alone in my affinity for it. Please
33 > keep it. At the very least, if it has to go, don't dump a half-assed alternative
34 > like xmms2 on the users -- sure, xmm2 shows a lot of promise, but it's simply
35 > not ready. xmms is stable; might as well keep it around until we're so far into
36 > future gcc versions that it (and gtk-1) just won't compile any longer on any
37 > arch. ;)
38 If noone takes it will be saved on overlays.gentoo.org. Everyone needs
39 to know that xmms is old and tired (obsolete). A few developers on
40 redhat, mandriva and suse marked xmms as obsolete. Now it's our turn to
41 move it to our darkness repository. If you want to be sure it's obsolete
42 just read xmms's website.
45 Gentoo Linux Developer
46 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list