From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:38:39
1 On 01/07/03 02:58 -0700, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 <insert bitching about wordwrap here>
4 > Before I go and invalidate a bug, I thought I might take the idea
5 > around here to see if it has any merit in terms of usefulness/interest.
6 >
7 > The idea stems from the fact that etc-updating a make.conf file can be a
8 > bit of a stressful event. And as portage's set of features grows, so
9 > too will the size of the make.conf file. I get the impression that the
10 > make.conf file is a little hard to parse, with the huge comment blocks
11 > etc etc. So my proposal is this: a make.conf.d directory which contains
12 > files for each section of the make.conf: use, flags, fetch, packagevars.
13 Instead of a make.conf.d or make.d, why not ship with a set of
14 sample-make.foo.conf files? The detailed comments can go in the sample
15 files, while the main make.conf has a few short comments.
16
17 I would suggest make.conf.global and make.conf.local. The global file
18 will summarily be overwritten by any upgrades, the make.conf.local file
19 will never be touched by it.
20
21 make.conf will include make.conf.global and make.conf.local
22 make.conf.local can have flags set in two ways:
23 append to flags in global:
24 foo += flag flag flag
25 override global flags
26 bar = flag flag flag
27 If there are two conflicting flags, the flags in .local take precedence,
28 with a warning logged to the user.
29
30 This should enable you not to have to bother about what has changed,
31 while allowing for local configuration specific customization.
32
33 <snip>
34
35 Devdas Bhagat