From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:59:11
1 Hi All,
2
3 Before I go and invalidate a bug, I thought I might take the idea around here to see if it has any merit in terms of usefulness/interest.
4
5 The idea stems from the fact that etc-updating a make.conf file can be a bit of a stressful event. And as portage's set of features grows, so too will the size of the make.conf file. I get the impression that the make.conf file is a little hard to parse, with the huge comment blocks etc etc. So my proposal is this: a make.conf.d directory which contains files for each section of the make.conf: use, flags, fetch, packagevars. That way, USE flags can be explained and specified in use, compiler flags in the flags file, fetch will contain the fetchcommands, mirrors (both distfiles and rsync), and packagevars can contain things like ALSA_CARDS for those of us on 2.4 kernels, and VIDEO_CARDS for those of us who have xfree/xfree-drm/whatever-future-windowing-system-we-add, and so on. This way, the actual make.conf file (which tends to be about 10 lines of uncommented items in the usual case) can be dynamically generated from the information in those files.
6
7 Anyway, it's not an urgent issue by any means, but a thought.
8
9 Ciao,
12 Seemant Kulleen
13 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
14 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~seemant
15
16 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
17 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E