From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:12:12
1 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > The idea stems from the fact that etc-updating a make.conf file can be a bit of a stressful event.
3 > And as portage's set of features grows, so too will the size of the
4 make.conf file.
5
6 I've always thought that /etc/make.conf should consist of env. variables
7 only, have no comments and be generated dynamically not from other
8 smaller files but from a utility or tool of some sort. Currently, the
9 size of the make.conf file is huge and doing the following gives the
10 essential structure that I'm talking about.
11
12 grep -v '#' /etc/make.conf | cat -s > ~/make.conf.basic; more
13 ~/make.conf.basic
14
15 You'll see that this is much more readable and easily editable.
16 Comments can be placed in a different file such as /etc/make.conf.help.
17 However, given that this method also results in more than one file it
18 also brings about the need for a directory.
19
20 I suggest /etc/portage/. There is already a dir structure for
21 /etc/portage/package.unmask. As a result, it would make sense for all
22 portage/gentoo related files to be placed in there. This would include
23 make.conf, rc.conf, help files and any others.
24
25 To summarise, directory structure: yes, dynamic: yes, from zillions of
26 smaller files: no (that's backward progress).
27
28 A few of my thoughts.
29
30 With regards.
31 --
32 Dhruba Bandopadhyay | dhruba[AT]codewordt.co.uk | ICQ: 31628525
33 Gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r5 | XFree-4.3.0-r3 | Nvidia-1.0.4363 |
34 E-0.16.6-pre4 | ~x86
35 D8250 | Intel P4 I850E | Nvidia GeForce4 MX420 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list