From: "Lisa M." <lisa@××××××.com>
To: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:35:42
1 On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 05:58, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > So my proposal is this: a make.conf.d directory which contains files for each section of the make.conf: use, flags, fetch, packagevars. That way, USE flags can be explained and specified in use, compiler flags in the flags file, fetch will contain the fetchcommands, mirrors (both distfiles and rsync), and packagevars can contain things like ALSA_CARDS for those of us on 2.4 kernels, and VIDEO_CARDS for those of us who have xfree/xfree-drm/whatever-future-windowing-system-we-add, and so on. This way, the actual make.conf file (which tends to be about 10 lines of uncommented items in the usual case) can be dynamically generated from the information in those files.
3
4 Sounds like a great idea. No sense in parsing the whole make.conf when
5 you might not need anything (such as rsync vs. needing a whole bunch of
6 things).
9 Regards,
10 -Lisa
11 <Vix ulla tam iniqua pax, quin bello vel aequissimo sit potior>