From: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:41:28
1 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2
3 >Hi All,
4 >
5 >Before I go and invalidate a bug, I thought I might take the idea around here to see if it has any merit in terms of usefulness/interest.
6 >
7 >The idea stems from the fact that etc-updating a make.conf file can be a bit of a stressful event. And as portage's set of features grows, so too will the size of the make.conf file. I get the impression that the make.conf file is a little hard to parse, with the huge comment blocks etc etc. So my proposal is this: a make.conf.d directory which contains files for each section of the make.conf: use, flags, fetch, packagevars.
8 >
9 Nice idea, something that I have thought about before.
10
11 The generated make.conf should have a *big fat* warning at the top
12 specifying that it is a generated file and changes are to be made to the
13 appropriate files in /etc/make.conf.d (or even just /etc/make.d).
14
15 Installation documents will have to be updated to specify the individual
16 files to be editted. Also utilities like ufed and the compiler flag
17 generator will also need to be modified.
18
19 Suggested files in /etc/make.conf.d :
20 use - use flags
21 compiler - CFLAGS, CHOST, CXXFLAGS, MAKEOPTS
22 distcc - DISTCC_HOSTS
23 ccache - CCACHE_DIR, CCACHE_SIZE
24 directories - PORTDIR, PORTDIR_OVERLAY, etc
25 fetch - FETCHCOMMAND, SYNC, GENTOO_MIRRORS
26 advanced - FEATURES, AUTOCLEAN
27
28 To those that suggest having a full make.conf.sample or add the comments
29 to make.globals:
30 1. I can't say that I've read through make.globals, the install
31 instructions say to avoid make.globals and edit make.conf (as does
32 make.globals)
33 2. How many users read a sample file and then go and edit the real
34 config? I generally copy the .sample to the .config and then edit it,
35 with all comments in place.
38 Troy Dack
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list