From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:05:04
1 On Tuesday 01 July 2003 10:58, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > Before I go and invalidate a bug, I thought I might take the idea around
5 > here to see if it has any merit in terms of usefulness/interest.
6 >
7 > The idea stems from the fact that etc-updating a make.conf file can be a
8 > bit of a stressful event. And as portage's set of features grows, so too
9 > will the size of the make.conf file. I get the impression that the
10 > make.conf file is a little hard to parse, with the huge comment blocks etc
11 > etc. So my proposal is this: a make.conf.d directory which contains files
12 > for each section of the make.conf: use, flags, fetch, packagevars.
13
14 Are there any other advantages to having an /etc/make.conf.d?.... I dont see
15 any.
16
17 If the *only* advantage is to reduce the headache when using etc-update, then
18 surely we should be looking for improvements to etc-update and sdiff, rather
19 than changing the structure of one of our core configuration files.
20
21 (And Im not sure the proposed solution will help much anyway.... why should
22 updating multiple files in /etc/make.conf.d be any easier than updating one
23 monolithic /etc/make.conf?)
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list