From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:12:04
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 02:58:24 -0700
3 Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > Hi All,
6 >
7 > Before I go and invalidate a bug, I thought I might take the idea
8 > around here to see if it has any merit in terms of
9 > usefulness/interest.
12 O have to disagree/agree.
13 you can already do "source /some/other/place/useflags" and declare
14 local USE flags there..
15 or, as I have mine structured:
16
17 GNOME="gnome esound gtk gtk2"
18 KDE="-kde -arts -qt"
19 CRYPT="crypt ssl gpg ldap"
20 USE="${GNOME} ${KDE} ${CRYPT} ipv6"
23 if you take care to re-define variables, and add a nice blank line
24 before, then etc-update won't barf on the config and think you changed
25 as much, meaning merge will be simpler.
28 So in this term, I'm against doing any modifications to the current
29 system, theres little need to do so, and to split configuration from
30 documentation is a bad thing in a configfile of this sort.
33 //Spider
37 begin .signature
38 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
40 end