From: Robert Bragg <rbragg@××××××××.uk>
To: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:40:53
1 Hello,
2
3 Too me, it sounds like your method of merging changes might be the problem.
4 I haven't noticed a problem myself. I use etc-update with vimdiff.
5 vimdiff folds all common text between files and so all I have to look at
6 are the new changes (make.conf doesn't seem any worse than many other config
7 files in this respect) if I decide to update the _whole_ file then I
8 quite vimdiff and tell etc-update I want the old replaced, if I only
9 want _some_ of the new changes then I take what I like from the new
10 config file and edit my original config. Then when I quit vimdiff I can then
11 tell etc-update to discard the update.
12
13 That seems easy, I particularly like seeing any changes to the make.conf
14 file just so that no new gentoo features slip by unnoticed (which could
15 happen with the proposed seperate file setup, because I also like to
16 have comments autmerged on unedited files)
17
18 Rob
19