From: Stefan Strogin <steils@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: libressl@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:01:02
1 Hi,
2
3 On 28/12/2020 11:56, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > Hello, developers and Gentoo LibreSSL team.
5 >
6 > TL;DR: is there really a point in continuing the never-ending always-
7 > regressing struggle towards supporting LibreSSL in Gentoo?
10 I don't agree.
11
12 I have asked ~20 users who made any contributions (like bug reports or patches)
13 recently, and almost all of them think that having a choice between OpenSSL
14 and LibreSSL adds value to Gentoo. Some still trust LibreSSL more than OpenSSL
15 because of its sins of the past. Although I can see that OpenSSL made a good
16 progress in the latest several years. Anyway LibreSSL serves well to some
17 number of users, and switching back to OpenSSL can be troublesome (think if you
18 had dozens of servers running LibreSSL).
19
20 LibreSSL support in Gentoo is not critical for me. But it doesn't take too
21 much effort. I think the cost-benefit ratio is good enough for keeping it.
22
23 Last but not least, the LibreSSL itself is well, alive and actively developed.
24 People might want to use it. I see no good reasons not to support it,
25 other than lack of time, will and effort.
26 I really think that ability to choose (even between things that do not have
27 great advantage over each other) - is a value in itself.
30 > The vast majority of software is not tested against LibreSSL. While
31 > patches are usually trivial and we have people that submit them,
32 > I find many of them short-sighted. Just look at [1]. Sure, it fixes
33 > the build today but it disabled the feature for all foreseeable future.
34 > How likely is it that somebody will submit another patch reenabling it
35 > with a future LibreSSL version?
36
37 The likelihood is greater than zero:
38 https://github.com/lighttpd/lighttpd1.4/commit/57f450f1992fc4e28cf85969eeebccb240df4303
39 https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo/commit/c7792db235647a6441b315528997b40ba2beeaaa
40 https://github.com/Yubico/yubico-piv-tool/commit/3bcd36bbdbbdc86d06cc53df7e3b7c30d12cd33e
41 etc...
42
43 That was why I disagree.
44
45 But I'll acquiesce in the decision to remove LibreSSL, because the number of
46 developers that actually work on LibreSSL support is about 1.5. And unfortunately
47 I don't have much time and effort for Gentoo currently, because of the main job
48 and other life (I hope it will change soon though).
49
50 I would be happier if some other developers were able and willing to participate
51 actively in the LibreSSL project. But if not, not.
52 Just make the transition as painless as possible.