From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about licenses
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:12:08
1 On 16/06/05, Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:12:30 +0200
3 > Torsten Veller <tove@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Ok, here is a license: <http://rafb.net/paste/results/j88sYC87.html>
6 > > I couldn't decide if this one is present already.
7 > > All i have checked are slightly different. Maybe someone knows ;)
8 > >
9 > > If it is not in licenses/, can someone suggest a name for this one?
10 >
11 > Looks like as-is.
12
13 Reclassifying a license based on what it "looks like" and then
14 redistributing software puts Gentoo into an undesirable legal
15 position. Gentoo developers are not IP lawyers - none of us I have the
16 training to assess whether two licenses are equal. Additionally, many
17 license texts are actually based on something like as-is, but with
18 minor changes. Unless a package explicity says "this software is
19 distributed under the xxx license", then it shouldn't be classed as
20 being under that license - developers have no right to represent the
21 license of a package as being anything other than a perfect
22 reproduction of the license in the package archive.
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list